Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Whispers or Yells?

I am reading a book called Religiously Transmitted Diseases by Ed Gungor.  I'm only a page or so into chapter 1, but it seems to be pretty good.  Right now Gungor is relating his big moment of realizing he needs God.  He was high, and when he came home he became sober really quickly and knew God was in the room.  Gungor talks about feeling dirty and ashamed.  I have read and heard so many stories like this.  It is the kind of experience you never forget. 

When reading Gungor's story I began to think back on my life.  I don't think I've ever had a moment like that.  I've had times when I have been basically crippled with emotion, or with the presence of something bigger than me.  I have wrestled with both angels and demons in my life, but never have I had a sobering experience with God in that way.  Sometimes that fact makes me question if I really believe, or if I really am a christian.  I do not, however, think God has been absent from my life.  I just think maybe he speaks in whispers to me, not a loud voice.  I think he gently guides me, his presence is comfortable not over bearing.

To those of you who read this, have you ever had an unforgetable, sobering experience with God or is he subtle with you as well?   

No comments: