Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

revelation

So I had this communion revelation this week. Because I've been so sick recently I've been drinking tea like it's my job. Well, a couple nights ago I was having a cup of tea as I was winding down for the night. That night I was drinking from a mug that was my grandma's (the one who passed away over the summer). As I got to the bottom of the mug I noticed a pattern drawn in the bottom of the mug. I looked at it for a couple of minutes before it dawned on me that the lines were from my grandma stirring her tea while drinking. I was drinking one of my grandma's favorite drinks from her own cup.

As I was realizing that I began to remember the stuff pastors say before communion. you know what I'm talking about, all the "when ever you drink of this cup remember me." After that I started thinking about the way that every time I drink tea in this mug I'm going to remember my grandma, and how the disciples must have had the same thing happen to them with what we now call Communion. Every time they would get together and have the bread and wine they would remember their friend who died for them.

It may sound strange but the next time I have black olives I will think of Grandma Russell. No matter the occasion, there were always black olives in the relish tray. I don't know if there was a reason beyond her knowing my sister and I love them, but without fail they were always there. Once again, the disciples would have the same reaction to the bread. It would trigger memories of meal gone by with the leader of their pack.

I never really understood the reason for Communion. I mean, I understood it intellectually; I knew we did it because we were told to do so. I didn't understand why it mattered though. I never knew the emotional value of this simple meal. Now I understand, even as trivial as this analogy may seem, it really has opened my eyes to the beauty of this act of worship. People come together over food. Jesus understood that and used it to our benefit. We remember who we belong too and who's family we are in. It's almost as if He was implementing a family dinner where we share more than food with one another. We share life and we celebrate life together with this simple act of taking Communion. This fact is truly beautiful to me and I am so grateful to understand it on a new level. I hope someday you also can understand this as I do today.

Love you bunches!

<><


No comments: