Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

First Day of "Work"

Today was my first official day of work with the Youth Group at church.  It went so well!  I think I'm going to love this job.  My sister and I went to The Gathering, our High School ministry.  We started out by just hanging out, then we sang some worship songs.  Joe Long and Katie Borden were leading up front.  They are both super talented.  Joe even wrote a new worship song for us to learn.  It was beautiful.  The words were based on Psalm 150, which reads.

Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
praise him with timbrel and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,
praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

The song was amazing and this may be a new favorite verse of mine.  The song connected to the theme of the summer so well.  This summer we are talking about worship.  Doug had Tyler, the other intern, and me each share a quick testimony thing about what we see worship as.  Once Tyler and I were done, Doug had the kids break up into groups and discuss what worship is.  We went through all sorts of questions from what is worship, to what do we worship and how do we get back on track when we start to worship things that are not God.  It was a fabulous conversation, and Tyler seemed to have a lot to say, so I let him take point in our group.  He really seems to have a heart for God, which is great to see.  After breaking out into groups, we had Popsicle and played games and hung out. 

After pretty much everyone was gone, Chris and Alex asked if we all wanted to go grab food and hang out more.  So, after many distractions, some Teach Me How to Dougie and whatever else we ended up at White Castle.  So, Chris, Alex, Sarah, Tori, Doug and I went to White Castle.  Tori had to leave early, but the guys, Sarah and I ended up staying until 11:30pm.  We talked about all sorts of stuff.  It was great.

To make a long story short, I think I am going to like this job.  The kids are cool, the staff members are wonderful, and the volunteers rock!

Right now I am listening to so old one80 sermons from freshman year at Witt.  Its the Reset series.  So great, and totally what I needed to hear today. 

I think this summer is one of healing for me and God.  I think we are going to be friends again.  I am starting to want to read my Bible, and pray and journal.  I am wanting to spend time with God.  I love this feeling, and I have missed it so much.  I am tired of feeling at odds with God, that is the worst place to be because no matter what you are going to lose.  You can't beat the creator of everything.  It's just not possible.  This is going to be a big summer for me, and I can't even describe the excitement I feel when I think about it.

No comments: