Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Enjoy the Silence: Day 3


Day 3: Isaiah 6:1-8

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple.   Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.

And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
    the whole earth is full of his glory.”
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? ”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”


Send me.  Two words that I say, though the phrase doesn’t always end in the exclamation point that Isaiah uses.  When I say that, it tends to be less of a ‘ooo ooo, pick me!!” and more of a “for the love of … fine I will go.” 

When I interact with God I tend to be super needy.  Notice me.  Love me.  Save me.  Forgive me.  Bless me.  All of these are things I have asked of God.  Sometimes I will pray and ask for God to show me what he wants me to do, or what his plan is for me.  When I do that, though, it is really a selfish prayer.  I usually just want life to be easier, not to further the Kingdom of God. 

This past year has been marked by death; both of people I love and an image of myself I have held for such a long time.  Out of all of this death came a calling to new life.  Relationships have been/are being reconciled and restored.  Dreams are being shifted.  Priorities are being realigned. 

When Isaiah first saw God his reaction was “woe is me”.  He said he was ruined.  God met him there and made a way for Isaiah to be in community with God.  God cleansed his lips which removed the barrier between Isaiah and God.

I don’t have to worry about that now.  I have a Great High Priest in the Kingdom of God.  Jesus intercedes for me, but I should still feel some awe when looking God in the face.  I don’t.  I hope someday I will. 

I want to be used for great things, but right now it isn’t always for God’s glory but my own.  I want greatness for me.  Greatness means I succeeded.  My reaction to some of God’s callings might be different if I longed to bring God glory, not prove my worth to him.  I never can do that.  I’m not worth the grace and mercy I have been given.  Ye it is mine for the taking.  So I say;
            “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty; the whole earth is filled with his glory.”

No comments: