Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fourth of July

July Fourth is one of those holidays that make super uncomfortable.  I am not one to be super patriotic, and since this holiday makes people bleed red white and blue I feel out of place.  I am not one to sing God Bless America.  I will not shout I'm Proud to be an American for everyone to hear.  I do not really love my country like I feel like others love this country. 

I serve a God who is bigger than any country.  He is bigger than any government, military or even any ideology.  I feel as though many Americans worship our country on days like today.  It is all about the Star Spangled Banner and parades and what not.  When was the last time we had this big of a party for a religious holiday?  When Israel became too focused on their own greatness in the Hebrew Bible, God would remind them who is in charge.

Sometimes I fear America is becoming like the Ancient Israelites.  We feel that we have brought ourselves this far, yet we only got here because God let us.  There are so many parallels between then and now.  On our surface we are a devout and moral country.  Underneath, we are a decaying society.  I don't need to worship that, nor do I want to.

That being said, I am grateful to live in a country where I can express my opinion.  I don't know if other people feel that way.  I kinda hope I'm not alone.

No comments: