Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

But does it matter?

Easter was like 2 days ago. Because of this I've been faced with the story that we celebrate this time of year. It's taken me a couple days to really mull over what it is we believe. Pastor Marsha (the one from where I work) challenged us to really think about if we actually believe Easter matters. If I'm honest, it really depends on the day.

On the one hand, I think that if God is a loving God (like I KNOW He is) then of course Jesus' death and resurrection makes everyone OK by default.

On the other hand, if that were true, then why would Jesus have had to come out of the tomb? I mean, he beat death, whether we knew it or not and so once he came back to life he could have just peaced out. God could have beamed him up right out of the tomb... no heavy lifting necessary.

However, that's not how it went down. He stepped out of the tomb and scared the living daylights out of Mary Magdalene and the other women and later his disciples as well.

He stepped out and then had his disciples do the same. He could have stopped after he told his buddies that he was OK, but instead he had them spread the word. He said "therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19) And they did it.

It seems to me if this was all made up they would have done no such thing. Why die a cruel and painful death to protect a lie. Someone would have ratted them out... yet no one changed their story.

I know that I believe in Jesus, and a lot of these questions stem from a discomfort with evangelism and the fear of my friends going to Hell. I have a hard time thinking a loving God would send them to Hell, but maybe He would.

What do you all think? Is this a legit concern or am I over-thinking everything? Should I just believe what I was taught in Sunday school or should I continue to be critical of the doctrine I don't understand? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, I found your blog through SCL today... couple of thoughts.

First off, regarding Jesus' death making everyone OK, Jesus never actually promised that that would happen -- although it'd be really really nice if it did. Take John 6:47 for example; He says that whoever believes in Him has everlasting life, implying that anyone who doesn't, doesn't. :-(

And I think you have a really valid insight on what Jesus and the disciples did after the resurrection: they did indeed go around and tell people, and in fact went and told people as though lives depended on it. :O Probably because they did.

Last thing before I go: continue to believe what you were taught in Sunday School, yes, generally, because it's usually right, or close to it. But never ever stop criticizing your doctrine, or your other beliefs for that matter. It's hard to do right, but it's worth it.

Anyway, keep on keeping it real, sis. :-)