Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

So, it is Lent. Time to decide what to give up, or take on, or whatever it is that you do.

This year, I didn't think I was going to give anything up, but then my friends and I were talking about "Christianese." Christianese is the words and phrases that are common in Christian circles but everyone else is like 'what the hell is that supposed to mean?' As my friends and I were discussing it, I realized that this insider talk has really seeped into my daily life. That realization along with the fact that insider speak can dissuade people who aren't privy to what you know has caused me to look at the way I communicate with people.

This year I am giving up Christianese for Lent. Words and phrases like, "bless her/his heart", "love on", "Fellowship", "guard your heart" and other such words and phrases. The motivation behind this is to make my communication with my friends who may not know what I am trying to say better. Also, this makes me pay attention to what I'm saying. I don't just throw churchy words around without thinking about what I mean. I have to articulate my ideas in more direct language.

Ok, so that is where I am. Just thought I would share. :)

No comments: